10.23.2011

7. cook an Indian recipe you've never tried before


This dance worked out really well for me since I was supposed to cook something for a potluck. So I actually did two recipes today. One was kala chana (black chickpeas), and the other was dhokla. The first was quite the disappointment, mostly because I tried to make it fancier than it needed to be. Sometimes, you really should 'keep it simple stupid'. The latter was a mouth-watering success for the same reasons.

the disappointment ...

the success ...

And so, that wraps up 7 days. I'm quite proud of myself (really Pratik? Do you really want to jinx it so soon?). It hasn't been been easy. Day 1 was just plain uncooperative; in hindsight, it was probably inauspicious (and I don't even believe in auspicious days). Day 2 was a disaster. It wasn't mentioned but day 3 was half-hearted. It's been better since; I've been lucky with some of the easier dances.

I will admit to a certain excitement every morning. The excitement of picking a dance that has potential to make or break a day. Hell - it could even be an insignificant blip. It doesn't matter. For me, the idea of 'performing' these dances was to force myself to chip away at my bubble of hobbies and curiosities (my bubble just keeps growing and growing). So that I never have to whine about how there's "so many things I want to do, and so little time". Freedom of choice has a downside - you can choose to avoid something just because you "don't feel like it". For me, these dances were meant to eliminate that excuse. 

No comments:

Post a Comment